Punakha Dzong, a massive structure at the junction of two rivers built in1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel is 600 feet long and 240 feet wide, with a sprawling 6 –storey rectangular tower. It is the most beautiful and well-known fortress connected with Bhutan’s historical traditions. The valley and Dzong of Punakha was the seat of power and politics in medieval Bhutan.It was in Punakha, the first hereditary Monarch, King Ugyen Wangchuck was enthroned on 17 December 1907. Punakha served as the winter capital till 1955 and Punakha Dzong continues to be the winter residence of the Central Monk Body. In spite of four catastrophic fires and an earthquake that destroyed many historic documents, Punakha Dzong houses sacred artifacts and embalmed body of Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel.