Punakha served as the capital of Bhutan until 1955 and is still the winter seat of Je Khenpo (Chief Abbot). Blessed with temperate climate and fed by Pho Chu (male) and Mo Chu (female) rivers, Punakha is the most fertile valley in the country with abundant with crops and vast terraces of rice fields. There are splendid view of the distant Himalayas at Dochula pass (alt. 3,100 m) on Thimphu – Punakha road.
Punakha Dzong, a massive structure at the junction of two rivers built in1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel is 600 feet long and 240 feet wide, with a sprawling 6 –storey rectangular tower. It is the most beautiful and well-known fortress connected with Bhutan’s historical traditions. The valley and Dzong of …..
Chimi Lhakhang is situated on a hillock in the centre of the valley, is dedicated to Lama Drukpa Kuenley, who in the late 15th century used humour, songs and outrageous behaviour to dramatize his teachings and due to this also known as ‘Divine Madman’. This temple is also known as …..
Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten (Stupa) was built to remove negative forces and promote peace, stability and harmony in the changing world. The Chorten dominates the upper Punakha Valley with commanding views across the Mo Chhu and up towards the mountainous peaks of Gasa and beyond.