Tashichhodzong

Tashichhodzong or the “fortress of the glorious religion”, was initially erected in 1641 and rebuilt by the Third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck in 1965. Tashichhodzong is Bhutan’s administrative and religious centre and houses the throne room of His Majesty the King of Bhutan, Government Ministries, the nation’s largest monastery and headquarters of His Holiness the Je Khenpo (Head of the Monastic Body or Chief Abbott) and the monk body. The National Assembly Hall is located in a new building across the river.