The last western town before heading towards central Bhutan, Wangdue Phodrang is like an enlarged village with a few well provided shops. Located towards the south of Punakha, the higher ridges of the Wangdue Phodrang valley provides rich pastureland for cattle. This district is also famous for its fine bamboo work and its slate, stone carvings.
Wangdue Phodrang Dzong situated on a ridge overlooking a river junction was built in the 1638. The position of the Dzong completely covers the spur and commands an impressive view over both the north-south and east-west roads. In the 17th century, Wangdue Phodrang played a critical role in unifying the …..
Further going towards the east of Wangdue Phodrang, Gangtey Gompa provides one of the most attractions in Bhutan. It dates back to the 17th century. A few kilometers past the Gompa, on the valley floor is the village of Phobjikha. This is the winter home of black necked cranes that …..