Drugyal Dzong

Drugyal Dzong which means victorious fortress was built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel to commemorate his victory over the Tibetan invaders, led by the Mongolian warlord, Gushri Khan in 1644. Strategically built over the only passage into Paro valley, the Bhutanese repelled several invading Tibetan armies during the 17th century from this location. The glory of Drukgyel Dzong remained even when it was destroyed by fire in 1951. On a clear day, one can see the commanding view of Mount Jumolhari from the village, below the Dzong.